Oil Painting Art Classes
My aim is to pass on the art knowledge that I have learned over the last
I see art classes as a place for artists, beginners and advanced, to learn
and grow from the art teacher and each other.
Information on materials, technique, planning and composition, right through
to varnishing and framing will be covered.
At the moment tuition is for oil painting only.
The classes will be structured but informal in a great setting here in
The course will be divided into 2, 3 week sessions.
In the first part of the course we’ll work our way through a simple still life,
concentrating on basic techniques, materials used, composition and,
how to recognise organize your tonal values, contrast and all the elements
that make up a successful painting.
In the second part, I’d like to see the artists working on a personal project
of their choice.
I will be there to inspire, guide, facilitate and crit. The idea being, to promote
self-awareness and creativity.
By the end of the course you will have the confidence to create a beautiful
work of art.
Some Pictures from Art Classes
1. Easel – table or standing. (I do have a few extra if necessary)
3. Palette – Wood / Plastic / Tear-off
4. Canvas / Primed Board – around 16” x 20” (If you prefer working with a different sized canvas that is also fine.
5. Soft Pencil / Pastel
7. Palette knife (Medium)
8. 1 or 2 tubes of any colour acrylic for the background wash (Graduate Acrylic is inexpensive and does the job)
9. Basic Oil Paints – Winsor & Newton or Winton which are less expensive.
1st Part of the course:
2nd Part of the course:
11. Brushes (Personal Choice)
12. Liquin / Oil Medium
13. Bottle of Turpentine – Douglas Genuine Turpentine – available
at hardware stores and not as expensive as the art version
14. Rags / White Spirits and jars will be provided.
15. You are welcome to bring a camera or IPad if you like to take
progress and finished artwork photos.